ENG: Jim Pirtle is a 2012 Libertarian candidate seeking election to the U.S. House representing the 5th Congressional District of Colorado.
Campaign themes - 2012
Pirtle's campaign website lists the following issues:
- Budget - Excerpt: "America, we must have a balanced budget! Check the U.S. Debt Clock and you will find that the U.S. tax revenue is over $2 trillion. However, Congress is spending over $3 trillion. Our total debt is over $15 trillion, while the interest alone is over $203 billion."
- Wars - Excerpt: "The war in Afghanistan is an unfortunate position we as a country were forced into.
The initial mission was to limit Al Qaeda’s activities and capture Osama Bin Laden. It has taken 10 years, to achieve 1 goal. The fault lies not with our military, but with our lack of planning by our leadership in Washington."
- Immigration - Excerpt: "Our great nation is based on immigration. All Americans, except for Native Americans, are from different nations and immigrated to the U.S. One associate I work with came to this country from Peru.
His family applied for and received approval to immigrate. We are a melting pot of all nationalities, religions, and cultures. We live together, work together, and pay taxes together."
- Social Security - Excerpt: "In 1983 the Social Security Act (SSA) was last amended, with the intent to SUPPLEMENT retirement. Many people don't understand this fact. Our government leaders have been using this fund as a political tool for re-election."
- Economy - Excerpt: "The U.S.
Census indicated 311 million people reside in the United States. Of these, over 13 million are unemployed, according to the bureau of labor statistics. If you combine those unemployed and the people that can only get part-time work, the total ends up over 24 million."
Elections - 2012
Pirtle ran in the 2012 election for the U.S. House, representing Colorado's 5th District. He ran unopposed in the June 26, 2012, Libertarian Primary. He faces incumbent Doug Lamborn (R), Dave Anderson (I), Misha Luzov (G), George Allen Cantrell (R write-in), and Kenneth R. Harvell (Constitution Party) in the general election on November 6, 2012.
Pirtle and his wife, Valerie, have two children.