Anna Georges Eshoo (born December 13, 1942) is the U.S. Representative for California's 14th congressional district, serving since 1993. She is a member of the Democratic Party. The district, which includes part of Silicon Valley, includes the cities of Redwood City, Sunnyvale, Mountain View and Palo Alto. She is the only Member of Congress of Assyrian descent.
Anna Eshoo was born in New Britain, Connecticut, of Assyrian and Armenian heritage. Her father, Fred Georges, was a jeweler and watchmaker.
She is a Chaldean Catholic and is the oldest of three children. She has a brother, Frederick Kenneth Georges, and a sister, Veronica May Georges. Her sister is married to Lawrence Patrick Purcell and they have two children, Celine and Alexander Purcell. She was married to attorney George Eshoo and is now divorced, with two children, Karen and Paul. She now resides in Atherton, California.
U.S. House of Representatives
In 1988, in the middle of Eshoo's second term on the San Mateo Board of Supervisors, Anna Eshoo ran for Congress in what was then the 12th District, but lost narrowly to Stanford law professor Tom Campbell. However, when Campbell made an unsuccessful run for the Senate in 1992, Eshoo ran for his vacated Congressional seat, which had been renumbered the 14th as a result of redistricting. She won by 17 points, becoming the first Democrat to represent the district since its creation in 1953 (it was the 11th District from 1953 to 1983 and the 12th from 1983 to 1993). She has been reelected nine times, never facing serious opposition. Most recently, she defeated Dave Chapman on November 2, 2010, garnering nearly 70 percent of the vote.
In 2003, Eshoo was elected by her Democratic colleagues in the 108th Congress as an At-Large Democratic Whip, and she has served in that position to the present. She is currently the only Assyrian American member of Congress and one of two Armenian American members of Congress. The other Armenian-American in Congress is Jackie Speier, who represents the rest of San Mateo County. On January 30, 2008, Rep. Eshoo formally endorsed Illinois Senator Barack Obama for President.
- Chair, San Mateo County General Hospital Board of Directors, 1984–1992
- Member, American Association of University Women
- Former Chair, Bay Area Air Quality Management District
- Former Member, Bay Conservation and Development Commission
- Democratic Activists for Women Now
- Junior League of Palo Alto
- League of Conservation Voters
- Member, League of Women Voters
- Co Founder, San Mateo Women's Hall of Fame.
Awards and honors
- 1989 Legislator of the Year Award from the California's Governor's Committee on the Employing of the Disabled
- 1991 Margaret Sanger Community Service Award from San Mateo County Planned Parenthood
- 1990 Friend of BAYMEC Award
- 1989 Public Official of the Year
by the State Commission on Aging
- 1987 Humanitarian of the Year by Easter Seal
- First woman to join her local chapter of Kiwanis International.
September 8th, 2011