Politicians and Election, Vote in Freedom, Actively Participate in Democracy, Vote for Change, Online referendum
Lucas Mangope

Safa nil, Mangope R1,777m

Lucas Mangope 56%

button ElectionsMeter.com

 

Safa has been ordered to pay its former head of security Kwena Darius Mangope nearly R2m for breach of contract.

The judgment was made in the Labour Court in Joburg by Judge J Molahlehi on November 17 last year after Mangope was fired by Safa when he was only three months in the job last year.

The former senior South African National Defence Force official had been head-hunted to take charge of the association’s security. He is also the son of former Bophuthatswana homeland president Lucas Mangope, who is the leader of the United Christian Democratic Party.

Judge Molahlehi, in his judgment in favour of Mangope, ruled that:

 

  • Safa’s decision to terminate Mangope’s contract on November 23 2009 was unlawful;

     

  • The termination of the contract amounted to breach of contract;

     

  • Safa must pay Mangope R1777000 as damages occasioned by the unlawful repudiation of the contract.

    According to the judgment, Safa had acted on complaints about Mangope’s perfomance during his three-month probationary period. Among these were Bafana Bafana’s games against Serbia and Jamaica, at which security was described as inadequate.

    The complaints had been relayed to Mangope but there was no evidence that Safa advised him that his performance was below standard or which aspects of his performance were below par.

    On the contrary, the then chief executive, Raymond Hack, had expressed satisfaction – up until the letter of dismissal.

    Molahlehi also pointed out that the Basic Conditions of Employment Act states that the employee must be given reasonable evaluation, training and counselling to afford him the opportunity to improve on his performance. He found this was not done.

    An elated Mangope said yesterday that he was satisfied with the judgment and wished Safa well. “It is now water under the bridge. I had gone there in good faith but it was not to be. After 29 years in the defence force I was up to the challenge,” he said.

     

    Sello Rabothata

    &nb. p;

     

    02 January 2011

    Source: www.sundayworld.co.za

    15.01.2011


  • Sally -
    Flag it!no spam

    ElectionsMeter is not responsible for the content of the text. Please refer always to the author. Every text published on ElectionsMeter should include original name of the author and reference to the original source. Users are obliged to follow notice of copyright infringement. Please read carefully policy of the site.

     
    load menu